Unfairpak Forum - How Farepak Stole Christmas

On Friday 13th Oct 2006 - Farepak Hampers went into administration. Over 100,000 customers were told that no food hampers or vouchers or other goods will be supplied this Christmas as promised, and no refunds! Share your thoughts here...
Winners - Scottish Polictian of the Year Award
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm 
Information Mine

http://www.savings.co.uk/news/2012/Nov/ ... gs-scheme/

Co-op to launch protected Christmas savings scheme

By Rachel Wait 12.11.12

The Co-operative has announced it will be launching a new Christmas savings scheme trust which will protect consumers' money.

Christmas 2012 may not have yet arrived, but the Co-operative Group is already thinking about Christmas 2013, after announcing it is to become the first UK retailer to launch a Christmas savings scheme trust.

Set to be launched in the New Year, the Co-operative scheme will give customers greater protection for their Christmas savings if the company falls into financial trouble. It comes six years after the collapse of hamper firm Farepak which saw almost 120,000 people lose an average of £400 each.
What is the scheme?

The Co-operative has been working closely with representatives of the Farepak Victims Committee, which was set up after the Christmas club collapsed. It believes the scheme will set a new standard for other businesses to follow. Money put into the scheme will be kept in a trust which is separate from the rest of the business.

Full details of the scheme won't be released until the new year, but its current scheme allows thousands of Co-operative Food shoppers to save for Christmas by buying £1 stamps during the year which they can then cash in when they do their festive shopping. Customers who buy stamps before the scheme comes into effect will be able to redeem them as normal.
Consumer protection

"The memory and impact of Farepak's demise is still felt by many households within the UK," says Martyn Wates, deputy group chief executive of the Co-operative Group.

"Members of the Farepak Victims Committee have, to their enormous credit, kept the issue of consumer protection alive and I am delighted that... we have been able to respond this way."

However, unlike with standard savings accounts, savings put into this type of scheme are currently not protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). This protects the first £85,000 of an individual's savings per bank. Until full details of the Co-operative scheme are revealed, savers are still safer putting their money into a standard savings account, protected by the FSCS. If you're saving for Christmas 2013, a regular savings account is ideal.

The first direct regular saver allows you to pay in between £25 and £300 a month and gives you an interest rate of 8% for 12 months. However, you do need to be a first direct 1st Account holder to qualify although you will get £125 for switching to the account through We Know Money and Moneysupermarket.com.
Want to know more?

Carnage as banks scramble to cut savings rate deals

Savers suffer another month of frozen base rate

Brits don't have enough money for Christmas

Quick Tips

1.If you're signing up to a savings scheme, make sure you read the small print so you know exactly how – and if – you savings are protected

2.A regular savings account is a great way to save up for next Christmas as you pay in a set amount each month

3.But be aware you must leave those savings untouched for 12 months

Note - Point 1 is completely incorrect where the CPA is concerned as the FSCS does protect CPA savers money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Angie Plant wrote:
http://www.savings.co.uk/news/2012/Nov/co-op-to-launch-protected-christmas-savings-scheme/

Co-op to launch protected Christmas savings scheme

By Rachel Wait 12.11.12

The Co-operative has announced it will be launching a new Christmas savings scheme trust which will protect consumers' money.

Christmas 2012 may not have yet arrived, but the Co-operative Group is already thinking about Christmas 2013, after announcing it is to become the first UK retailer to launch a Christmas savings scheme trust.

Set to be launched in the New Year, the Co-operative scheme will give customers greater protection for their Christmas savings if the company falls into financial trouble. It comes six years after the collapse of hamper firm Farepak which saw almost 120,000 people lose an average of £400 each.
What is the scheme?

The Co-operative has been working closely with representatives of the Farepak Victims Committee, which was set up after the Christmas club collapsed. It believes the scheme will set a new standard for other businesses to follow. Money put into the scheme will be kept in a trust which is separate from the rest of the business.

Full details of the scheme won't be released until the new year, but its current scheme allows thousands of Co-operative Food shoppers to save for Christmas by buying £1 stamps during the year which they can then cash in when they do their festive shopping. Customers who buy stamps before the scheme comes into effect will be able to redeem them as normal.
Consumer protection

"The memory and impact of Farepak's demise is still felt by many households within the UK," says Martyn Wates, deputy group chief executive of the Co-operative Group.

"Members of the Farepak Victims Committee have, to their enormous credit, kept the issue of consumer protection alive and I am delighted that... we have been able to respond this way."

However, unlike with standard savings accounts, savings put into this type of scheme are currently not protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). This protects the first £85,000 of an individual's savings per bank. Until full details of the Co-operative scheme are revealed, savers are still safer putting their money into a standard savings account, protected by the FSCS. If you're saving for Christmas 2013, a regular savings account is ideal.

The first direct regular saver allows you to pay in between £25 and £300 a month and gives you an interest rate of 8% for 12 months. However, you do need to be a first direct 1st Account holder to qualify although you will get £125 for switching to the account through We Know Money and Moneysupermarket.com.
Want to know more?

Carnage as banks scramble to cut savings rate deals

Savers suffer another month of frozen base rate

Brits don't have enough money for Christmas

Quick Tips

1.If you're signing up to a savings scheme, make sure you read the small print so you know exactly how – and if – you savings are protected

2.A regular savings account is a great way to save up for next Christmas as you pay in a set amount each month

3.But be aware you must leave those savings untouched for 12 months

Note - Point 1 is completely incorrect where the CPA is concerned as the FSCS does protect CPA savers money.

But nobody seems to want to give the CPA credit for working with the FSCS - it actually sickens me to be honest as we have worked so damn hard yet still brushed aside. I am all for the Co-op, don't get me wrong, I just wish facts would be printed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm 
Information Mine

suzy wrote:
But nobody seems to want to give the CPA credit for working with the FSCS - it actually sickens me to be honest as we have worked so damn hard yet still brushed aside. I am all for the Co-op, don't get me wrong, I just wish facts would be printed.

It would appear alot of people (journalists) are unaware of the CPA working with the FSCS. Awareness of this needs to be raised as there seems to be alot of misunderstanding out there. It has been put out there but not in abundance and therefore causing some journo's to mis-report. Even though MSE/Dave Plant did know, they failed to point out what the FSCS did cover.

If some adverts included the FSCS coverage then maybe the point would get accross better.

IMO, it's like when I see an advert advertising vouchers I always think to myself "sack the marketing team". Sometimes I verbally say it out loud. :-) It fails to get that feeling accross of what it's like to receive the vouchers when they are fully paid up, cause it's not in it. It's like you've won the lottery even though it's your own money when the vouchers are received for real. It just proves to me the people making these adverts with the celebs, they or family members have never experienced ordering vouchers in their lifetime. It's like Carmeron and Osborne trying to preach to us what poverty feels like! :-)

The point being, it's about getting the message accross and I just don't think the CPA/FSCS connection has got through to people who need to know, yet. In time this should happen. I do think the CPA should be writing official letters to ALL publications just to make sure the message is getting through.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:35 pm 
Information Mine

Can't see a thread CU's but thought I'd put it here with it more of an FVC thing.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aff5cf18-3004 ... z2CUCN0ZYT

Quote:
Credit unions deliver for Christmas savers
By Kate Allen and Elaine Moore
Credit unions have started to pay out record amounts of money to their Christmas savings club members this week.
The payouts provide further evidence that the membership-driven organisations are succeeding in their efforts to compete with high street banks in the wake of the banking crisis.
The schemes are becoming increasingly popular. The Association of British Credit Unions said that 91 per cent of its members now provided a Christmas savings scheme, and the remaining 9 per cent planned to do so next year.
Credit unions are moving into new market areas such as mortgages, and taking more risks. But this week the Pentecostal Credit Union was censured by the Financial Services Authority for issuing more than £1m in unlawful loans to churches.
Mark Lyonette, the association’s chief executive, said despite this, credit unions were perceived as more trustworthy than commercial Christmas funds such as Farepak, which collapsed six years ago, whose customers recovered only half their savings after a long legal battle.
Credit unions are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, but traditional voucher, hamper and stamp-based savings schemes such as Farepak are not covered.
“Before the collapse of Farepak, many people didn’t realise that their careful ‘saving’ wasn’t saving at all,” said Mr Lyonette. “Credit unions stepped in to meet the demand from members for a safe and accessible way to save for Christmas.”
One of the country’s biggest credit unions, Scotwest, will for the first time pay out more than £1m to more than 1,600 people this year, up from £415,000 to 754 people in 2008. Glasgow CU will pay out £257,000, with savings levels up 7.3 per cent, year on year. More than three-quarters of Glasgow’s Christmas savers are women, and the most common age range is 45 to 54.

More incorrect information re hamper companies and a false claim from Mark Lyonette, the CU chief exec. They really should be contacted and told. Although, the coverage CU's get is slightly different to hamper companies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Angie Plant wrote:
Even though MSE/Dave Plant did know, they failed to point out what the FSCS did cover.

Purely because MSE do not like companies that are governed by CPA. There is a lot of biased reports out there :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm 
Information Mine

Debbie Harvey wrote:
Debbie Harvey Just called into the town centre and
In Peacocks window they have a notice "we will now accept High Street Vouchers". So does that mean they were refusing them? When I asked the poor girl at the till she had no idea what I was on about!!! I CANNOT SAY IT LOUD ENOUGH.....KEEP AWAY FROM BLOODY VOUCHERS...EITHER SAVE WITH THE CREDIT UNION OR THE CO-OP, AT LEAST YOUR CASH IS SAFE.

This is false drivvel and propaganda! Facts all wrong again.

1) The Co-op isn't covered until next year, therefore "investing" in the Co-op pre 2013 your money is NOT safe.

2) HSV covers many shops and therefore if a shop goes under there are other options. What are the chances of all the shops on HSV going under? Just like supermarkets the probability is closer to nil!

3) CPA at present carries more protection than the Co-op will have in January. FVC slagged it off at every oportunity. Pot calling kettle ......

Hypocrites!

On the topic of Peacocks as you should know by now all contracts become void on entering administration (re gift vouchers/cards etc). It is purely at the discretion of the administrator re Insolvency Act 1986. Please note, I am not saying I like this or agree with it but it is the law!

Peacocks entered administration in January 2012, the administrators then sold the company out of administration in February 2012, therefore it was no longer in administration. New Co, new owners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17493363

New Gift Voucher contracts etc, etc etc.

Note - It is important people engage their brain before shooting their mouth off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Admin

That's the trouble with shouting, people don't engage their brain!

I personally bank with the Co-op and find it to be a trusted brand. However, their Christmas savings scheme has been done similarly before by HBOS and it did not take off! I do welcome it onto the market but I doubt very much it will take off in a big way.

At the end of the day, for whatever reason, people enjoy saving for vouchers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:59 pm 
Information Mine

Me and my customers luv savin for vouchers :)
The year after farepak collapsed we were gonna start saving money !!
Guess how far we got ??

Nowhere hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

sue7 wrote:
Me and my customers luv savin for vouchers :)
The year after farepak collapsed we were gonna start saving money !!
Guess how far we got ??

Nowhere hahaha

Ah you love a bit of Park though Sue :mrgreen:

I think saving money is just not the same to people who enjoy saving for their vouchers. My mum still saves with Park and she loves it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm 
Information Mine

yeah and i will luv them even more wen we find out who the Big new retailer is :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Admin

sue7 wrote:
yeah and i will luv them even more wen we find out who the Big new retailer is :mrgreen: :lol:

I've still not been told Sue x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/1 ... on=success

A POLITICIAN claimed her Twitter account was hacked when it sent a message saying she wanted to rip another councillor's head off.

A message was posted from the Twitter account of Newport councillor Debbie Harvey during Tuesday's full council meeting that said: "Newport budget I want to rip fouweather's head off[sic]".

The message, sent at 6.06pm on Tuesday evening during a full council meeting, was thought to refer to senior Tory councillor David Fouweather.

Cllr Harvey, who was elected to the Alway ward in May, said Twitter confirmed her account was compromised.

The tweet was deleted shortly after it was posted on Tuesday night. Her account has since been protected to stop people who don't already follow her from seeing it, and the accounts of some Argus journalists have been blocked from following her.

Cllr Harvey, who battled for victims following the collapse of Farepak, said the tweet did not come from her and was not a direct message meant for someone else.

She said Twitter are looking into it for her: "I've already had contact from Twitter saying the account has been breached. That's why my account was blocked. If I have got something to say I say it. I don't tweet it."

Asked why she blocked an Argus journalist, she said: "That's my choice."

Cllr Fouweather said he had no comment on the issue and was seeking advice, but has raised the matter with a legal officer at Newport council.

A council spokeswoman said its code of conduct does not stop councillors from tweeting during meetings, adding: "The security of personal accounts is the responsibility of the individuals and we understand that on this occasion the councillor believes their account was compromised."

Carl Morris of Cardiff social media consultancy NativeHQ said he couldn't comment on this case but said it is important to be mindful of the security of an account.

Mr Morris said a weak password can make an account vulnerable, while fake websites can gather login details.

"It's important to be wary of this, and mindful of the security of your account," he said, adding that it is also worth checking applications authorised to access your account.

Email
Print this page
Comment(27)

by Taboola
You Might Like

How to retire at 55Hargreaves Lansdown

Alternatives to Buying An Annuity | Your WealthYourWealth.co.uk

Google Joins Apple, Qualcomm In 1,000 Stock TargetsInvestors.com

Imagine Having any of these 17 Gardens at Your HomeNimvo.com

Amanda Seyfried Loves Whiskey and More Celebrity News | The D…Thedailymeal

Video: The F.D.A. Approves a Bionic EyeNew York Times

Comments(27)

pinpong says...
10:52am Thu 28 Feb 13

Just like saying i havent done my homework because my pen ran out of ink. Come on. This is really naughty. She is an elected councillor and should know better. She was probably losing the argument and wroye this in temper”

Quote »| Report this post »

PaulHalliday says...
11:04am Thu 28 Feb 13

I have to say Debbie Harvey's story does not stack up. Twitter wouldn't know if you were hacked unless it was because of a data breach on their end that had been discovered.

This is appalling behaviour by a council and Debbie would do good to stand down from her position as councillor, or at the very least admit it was her and offer an apology.”

whatintheworld says...
11:11am Thu 28 Feb 13

Our representatives seem to be more interested in bickering over Twitter during meetings/debates than actually listening and doing their job.

What's worse is we the public lap it up.”

UpsetResident says...
11:13am Thu 28 Feb 13

Frankley, if she's stupid enough to fall for a simplistic fake website, or use a weak password, it shows she isn't bright enough to be in public office”

Llanmartinangel says...
11:41am Thu 28 Feb 13

UpsetResident wrote:
Frankley, if she's stupid enough to fall for a simplistic fake website, or use a weak password, it shows she isn't bright enough to be in public office
When did 'not being bright enough for public office' stop anybody? There are plenty more where she came from.”

Severn40 says...
11:52am Thu 28 Feb 13

This story doesn't make sense. Twitter cannot confirm whether it has been hacked or not.”

33daverave says...
11:59am Thu 28 Feb 13

It's okay, we believe you.

NOT.”

P C Neilson says...
12:39pm Thu 28 Feb 13

"The message, sent at 6.06pm on Tuesday evening during a full council meeting"

"her account has since been protected"

"I've already had contact from Twitter saying the account has been breached. That's why my account was blocked. If I have got something to say I say it. I don't tweet it."

"Asked why she blocked an Argus journalist, she said: "That's my choice"

Not going to work sorry. Maybe take their phones off them for the duration of the meeting if they can't play nice.”

Howie' says...
1:15pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Why are Councillors allowed to keep their phones on during meetings? They can't be dealing properly with the matters that they were elected to consider if they are being distracted by their mobiles. I thought it was pretty standard procedure now to turn of all phones prior to any meeting commencing. How does it work, do they leave the room to take a call/text/twitter and miss part of the meeting leaving them less informed to take a decision or participate in the discussion or do they do it whilst in the meeting so disturbing every one else? No wonder a lot of their decisions are so questionable!”

P C Neilson says...
1:37pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Howie' wrote:
Why are Councillors allowed to keep their phones on during meetings? They can't be dealing properly with the matters that they were elected to consider if they are being distracted by their mobiles. I thought it was pretty standard procedure now to turn of all phones prior to any meeting commencing. How does it work, do they leave the room to take a call/text/twitter and miss part of the meeting leaving them less informed to take a decision or participate in the discussion or do they do it whilst in the meeting so disturbing every one else? No wonder a lot of their decisions are so questionable!
I wonder if there may have been an intermission (ciggie break or similar) around 6:00 pm.”

Serpent_terror says...
2:06pm Thu 28 Feb 13

good for her if she did say it.....! I for one am fed up with NCC past and present leaderships and the way they are playing at government they are turning our Newport into a ghost town, cutting back all sorts of services and yet not once have I heard them say that they will cut there allowances or take pay cuts themselves.
All they do is fight one another and then not talk to each other or not co-operate there like children, as for the other councilor would this be the same bloke who spent all that money when they where in charge trying too make all the taxis in Newport have black cabs and lost the case for example? that was our taxes being used to good effect (NOT) there all as bad as one another up there.
All I can say is GOD help us.”

On the inside says...
2:19pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Twitter is for self promoting fools. All journalists are self promoting fools. Play with fire, get burnt. Simples.”

Serpent_terror says...
2:24pm Thu 28 Feb 13

On the inside wrote:
Twitter is for self promoting fools. All journalists are self promoting fools. Play with fire, get burnt. Simples.
Totally agree :-)

P C Neilson says...
2:58pm Thu 28 Feb 13

For all we know Cllr fouweather is the biggest douche ever, and bad news for Newport, but we should expect a little decorum and something more effective in opposition from our Councillors.”

Cantankerous says...
3:07pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Time for the Delightful Debbie to go?”

blackandamber says...
4:02pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Momma always said "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. Not very ladylike.”

Magicmarvo says...
7:05pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Rather than be a left whinger :-

Go to your ward councillor and tell them face to face you are not happy with them or their colleagues. See if it works”

Magicmarvo says...
7:20pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Serpent_terror wrote:

On the inside wrote:
Twitter is for self promoting fools. All journalists are self promoting fools. Play with fire, get burnt. Simples.
Totally agree :-)Replace 'twitter' with 'argus comments'. Still agree?”

blackandamber says...
7:37pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Magicmarvo wrote:
Rather than be a left whinger :-

Go to your ward councillor and tell them face to face you are not happy with them or their colleagues. See if it works
Erm she is my councillor.”

Votefornoneoftheabove says...
11:56pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Councillor Harvey does like the limelight, she was on the ferret last week too. The bigger issue has and always will be to admit to the truth. We have to take her word, this way she can keep her £15000 per year salary. The issue with Newport Councillors is that they say what you want to hear but do what they want. At least she lives in Alway one of the other councillors who represnts Alway lives in the run down part of that area... Langstone.

Do I believe her.. no.

Debbie and the Labour gang in less than a year in power you have really dragged Newport down to the pits, cuts gipsy sites, and now a tax increase.

In 2017 Vote for none of the above. It will make sense .”

merlin the silure says...
7:47am Fri 1 Mar 13

what a load of bullstuff from Harvey!-hacked my a**e !
honestly officer I only fell out of my car after half a pint of shandy!!”

jups says...
8:39am Fri 1 Mar 13

did she didnt she ???...does it really matter in the grand scheme of things , NO...there are more important things to worry about like families struggling to live..the poor getting poorer...violence and crime rates increasing, education slipping than this gargage !”

username2 says...
1:33pm Fri 1 Mar 13

Seems like she's not telling the truth but I for one don't mind a bit of political bickering. At least there's a bit of debate going on. She's only human.”

pinpong says...
4:45pm Fri 1 Mar 13

Liar, Liar pants on fire.”

pinpong says...
4:45pm Fri 1 Mar 13

Liar, Liar pants on fire.”

unfairpak says...
8:21pm Fri 1 Mar 13

Course she tweeted it. This is certainly not the first time she tweeted offensive tweets or made offensive comments on Facebook or other forums.

We are in possession of numerous screen shots of defamatory statements made by Councillor Harvey. Perhaps we should send them to Councillor Fouweather!!!

At least this time, she managed to tweet without any obscenities. Although we do wonder whether it was all in CAPITALS?”

unfairpak says...
8:23pm Fri 1 Mar 13

South Wales Argus, if you are blocked from her account, please contact info@unfairpak.co.uk and we will be willing to assist you!”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 am 
Information Mine

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21