Unfairpak Forum - How Farepak Stole Christmas

On Friday 13th Oct 2006 - Farepak Hampers went into administration. Over 100,000 customers were told that no food hampers or vouchers or other goods will be supplied this Christmas as promised, and no refunds! Share your thoughts here...
Winners - Scottish Polictian of the Year Award
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 31 October 2011 UPDATE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Dear All

I felt it important to update supporters of Unfairpak and users who perhaps read the boards but do not post anymore.

I am well aware that some people are very unhappy that we are 5 years down the road and nothing appears to have been done. This is in fact not the case. We [Unfairpak and Liquidators] have moved quite far during this time.

As I am sure you will all be aware by now, Farepak was a very complex liquidation. This was partly down to the fact that the Directors did not keep up to date databases and the administrators/liquidators had an enormous task ahead of them to compile up to date and factual databases. They did this as cost efficiently as possible using people who had worked at Farepak which kept costs down and also kept those people in a job which they would have otherwise lost including the money they saved for Christmas.

The administrators moved to become liquidators one year after Farepak's collapse which is law and the administration committee of which I form a part became the liquidation committee. I still sit on that committee to this date as does Linda Gray and we both represent the customers of Farepak. I can assure each and every one of you that both BDO (the liquidators) and the liquidation committee have the creditors best interests at heart. That is our job! Furthermore, as National Campaign Co-ordinator for Unfairpak and as an Agent who lost money myself, I can assure you that I would never do anything which I felt was not in the best interests of creditors nor would Linda, the rest of the committee or BDO. For the record, BDO take instructions from the liquidation committee.

There have been recent allegations made in a Facebook Group set up by Louise McDaid called the Farepak Victims Committee. Allegations that BDO's fees are over £5 million. Allegations that Martha Thompson has "let us down shockingly". Allegations that the Post Office are not part of the CPA. Allegations that out of 7 directors of the CPA, only 1 has not been in a company that has been in liquidation or companies that were dissolved. I can assure you that all of these allegations are false.

The Farepak Victims Committee are calling for "those responsible to be held accountable". Earlier this year, Vince Cable advised that The Insolvency Service has applied to the High Court for disqualification orders against Sir Clive and eight other former directors in European Home Retail and its offshoot Farepak, saying their conduct made them “unfit to be concerned in the management of a company”. Accordingly, motions are in place to hold "those responsible to be held accountable".

The Farepak Victims Committee are further calling for "Farepak victims to be fully compensated". This cannot and will not happen through government. Government cannot be held responsible for the alleged failings of directors of companies. The Companies Act of 2006 and the Insolvency Act of 1986 deals with directors of companies. Compensation will come via the liquidators. At present this stands at approximately 15pence in the £. Furthermore, it would be prudent to remember that customers already received 17.5pence in the £ by way of the Farepak Response Fund set up by Ian McCartney of the then Labour government. Regarding payment of the approximate 15 pence dividend, I cannot give a date in respect of same as being part of the liquidation committee, I can confirm that we have asked the liquidators to take action against further parties in the hope of recovering further monies for the creditors of Farepak. As this may lead to further legal actions, I cannot comment any further in respect of same.

Lastly, the Farepak Victims Committee are calling for financial regulations to be put in place so that this never happens again. Following upon the demise of Farepak the CPA (Christmas Prepayment Association) was set up and most major Christmas pre-payment firms are members. I can confirm that the Post Office are a member of the CPA. For a full list of members please see http://www.cpa-advice.co.uk.

I myself have been working with the Northern Ireland Consumer Council looking at prepayment schemes which are not regulated. I have further worked with Yvonne Fovargue MP (who took over from Ian McCartney). Yvonne used to work at Citizens Advice Bureau and is very much in touch with schemes which are not regulated ranging from funerals to gift cards and many other prepayment schemes. I can confirm that we have met with Ed Davey, Consumer Minister regarding this also.

Work continues to go on behind the scenes. Just because it is not being reported in the media now does not mean that nothing is being done. I have been accused on the Farepak Victims Committee Group of "misleading" people. I can assure you that has never been the case and never will be. I, Linda, the rest of the liquidation committee, BDO and of course the members of Unfairpak will see this through to the end. It has been a long haul but we are getting there and hopefully we shall be able to lay Farepak to bed soon but unfortunately I cannot say when.

Lastly, if anyone wishes to check out the allegations and infactual statements, please see here http://www.facebook.com/groups/285468791482270/?ref=ts

If you do have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Best wishes

Suzy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:28 pm 
Information Mine

Firstly, us at unfairpak would never. I repaet Never put Suzy, Linda or the liquidators in a compromising position in regards to the confidental agreement. There is light at the end o the long dark tunnel that was farepak. I have faith us.in the liqiudators commitee to do the Right thing for ALL of us.

Secondly you do not need a head for figures to realise that accounts that accompy the yearly farepak agents letters give all the info you need. there has to be fees and its has been stated that BDO are NOT charging the full fees but are giving the people who lost out a discount which they did not need to do. As stateed above 17.5p from the farepak response fund plus at present 15p equates to a hell of a lot more than most people get from a liquidated company.

FINALLY where we are at present after FIVE years took BCCI nearly 10 years to bring to a close and that saga was finished after 14 years. I do beleive the Farepak sage will be over soomer rather than later and then Justice will be done.

I do not or wish to be compensated as the farepak victims commitee are asking as this is a pipe dream by them. Its been five years of my live and yes I check this website daily, I get on with living for the future and not the past,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

The accounts unfortunately are not being broken down properly by the person making the allegations David that is the trouble. That person believes that BDO has taken over £5 million in fees which is completely incorrect. What is good to see is that the Farepak Victims Group have now set out in detail a list of Receipts and Payments and hopefully someone will be able to explain them properly in order that factual statements are made. If anyone requires details of the Receipts and Payments here, please do not hesitate to ask.

I think it is important to point out the 17.5 pence in the £ that was received as I cannot think of another company that went bust and a charity was set up in respect of same. With the 17.5 pence and the approximate 15 pence and possibly more, Farepak customers could eventually do not too badly compared to other unsecured creditors with other firms that have went bust!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:23 pm 
Information Mine

suzy wrote:

I think it is important to point out the 17.5 pence in the £ that was received as I cannot think of another company that went bust and a charity was set up in respect of same. With the 17.5 pence and the approximate 15 pence and possibly more, Farepak customers could eventually do not too badly compared to other unsecured creditors with other firms that have went bust!

Nope scoured the web and its very unusal for such responses to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 am 
Site Admin

Yep pleased to see the breakdown on the FVC fb page. Credit where credit is due!

After 5 years here at Unfairpak I think we are all fully aware of how high emotions can run.
Misleading or inaccurate information does not help anyone, not a campaign or the individuals who search for information and updates.
I truly believe Suzy & Linda have always fought our corner with the best intentions and have never lost sight of the objectives we as Unfairpak set out to achieve. May it continue as long as needs be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:59 am 
Information Mine

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Well said Suzy, just been over there for a read, someone is very bitter, maybe these will cheer her up ........ :roll: :lol: #-o :evil: :shock: :( :idea: :mrgreen: [-X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:21 am 
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: |212|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 am 
Information Mine

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Just to clarify here: What we or I take exception to is Inaccurate information being posted on an open group. Granted I have made my feelings perfectly clear in the past regarding the call for the government to fully compensate the consumers who lost money due to the Farepak collapse.
As far as I am aware their has been no public slagging off or ridicule from Unfairpak or its members. This is not a playground but a serious complex and sensitive issue and should be treated as such.
We have been here for 5 years working towards our goals and this website proves that, during that time we have seen the lies, corrected the misconception and helped ease the effects of the collapse while working through to achieve our goals and we will continue to do so.

As for comments regarding smilies or emoticon's ... and the use here in Emoticon's or smilies are widely used to improve the interpretation of word's or express the mood of the author, they can lighten the mood or change the meaning of words and therefore can help to stop misconceptions, something quite vital when the written word is used.
Shame that someone implies childish behaviour for something, the roots of which can be linked back to Morse code.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:20 am 
Information Mine

Well said mate

I luv the smilies and always use them according to mood

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Admin

8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
Information Mine

Well put Sharon. =D> =D> 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

If any members have forgotten their log in names, passwords and would like to rejoin board then please contact either Sharon or myself with the emails provided.

We have shut down registration due to spammers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Links to email's can be found below.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3895&p=99066#p99066

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Sharon